COVID-19 czar Richard Carter said the measures implemented to limit spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic have been working.
He joined Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley, Attorney General Dale Marshall, Minister of Health and Wellness Jeffrey Bostic and economic advisor Kevin Greenidge on May 28 as they introduced a relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions and a plan designed to lift the economy.
Carter noted that for May there were only 11 cases of the viral illness in Barbados. He said that as of May 27, over 5 000 tests had been conducted and this is the first time the number of positive virus cases is in the single digits.
“What we have been doing is workng,” said Carter.
He reminded Barbadians that there is relaxation of restrictions in so far as there is general compliance with guidelines.
Carter said since the initial rush when the Alphabet system was first implemented, the long lines at supermarkets had abated to the extent that some operators had concerns.
Long lines were seen at banks and credit unions but he said this was more an indication that people were physical distancing. (KG)